Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions about home health services. If you have a question that is not answered here, please feel free to contact us:
Northern Virginia (703) 672-7370, Richmond (804) 883-6104, Winchester (540) 409-4622
1. Who qualifies for Home Health Care Services?You must have a medical condition that meets the criteria for home health care. There must be a need for a skilled practitioner, such as a nurse, physical therapist, or speech therapist. A Medicare patient must be medically homebound (absences from the home are infrequent and of short duration, or to receive medical care, and must be a taxing effort).
2. Who can benefit from Home Health Care Services?A person recovering from surgery, an illness, or an accident can benefit from home health.
3. How long can one receive Home Health?The physician in consultation with the home health staff makes the determination for how long the services are needed. For private insurance and worker’s compensation, the assigned case manager from the insurance company will also be consulted.
4. How are Home Health Services paid for?Payment options include: Medicare, Veteran’s Administration, Worker’s Compensation, Private Insurance, and Private Payment.
5. How are Home Health Services initiated?One must be referred by their physician or designee (nurse, hospital discharge planner, case manager, social worker, etc.).
6. How often are services typically provided?The frequency and duration of each service will be determined by the care plan established with the physician.
7. Will medical supplies be paid for?Typically, medical supplies are included as part of the visit and will not be billed to you directly. Some insurance companies however, may require a small payment.
8. Are Home Health patient satisfaction scores available to the public?Yes, all Medicare certified home health agency patients are surveyed by independent contractors and these results are available at: http://www.medicare.gov/homehealthcompare/search.html